Roxburghe Club. Hear Ye! Hear Ye! All Roxburghers come to the second annual Grand Book Auction. Benefit the Albert M. Bender Memorial Fund.. [Orinda, California?]: Don R. Fleming, Master of the Press, 1956.
Letterpressed flyer for benefit auction held at the Concordia-Argonaut Club, Tuesday, October 9, 1956. One sheet of orange paper, folded in half and printed on the first page only. 8" x 11-1/4"; Mild creasing and soiling along top edge. Very Good. This was the second of two such auctions for which ephemera is recorded in OCLC. Both OCLC entries note these as having been created by the Grabhorn Press; the entry for this one finds only one copy, at BYU with this attribution. We find that unlikely, and believe the document was printed by Donald R. Fleming of Orinda, California. Fleming was, among many things, a Roxburgher and private press printer. He is also noted on this flyer as Master of the Printer. A large part of his collection of books and ephemera was sold in 2007 by PBA Galleries; the catalog for that auction includes biographical details and is linked at https://www.pbagalleries.com/pdf-catalog/catalog-123.pdf. "The Roxburghe Club of San Francisco began in 1928 and is made up primarily of book collectors of a particularly erudite (some would say snooty) stripe who meet monthly." (SF Weekly, 7/31/2002). "The Concordia-Argonaut Club was founded—as the Concordia Club—by Levi Strauss and a group of his San Francisco friends in 1864. One of the premier private clubs in the United States, it was one of the first clubs for Jewish members in San Francisco" (Club Resort Business, January 12, 2017) -- reporting on the Club merger with the Presidio Golf Club). It was located at 1142 Van Ness Avenue since about 1890 (until sale of the building in 2014). (Jewish News of Northern California, December 19, 2014). California, December 19, 2014). Not in Heller & Magee, Bibliography of the Grabhorn Press though much ephemera is not listed there.